Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Weight Matters

Tomorrow is the day! I finally leave for China. I can hardly believe that it's here.
I have a fantastic mother. I was taken off the car insurance on Monday so I haven't been able to drive myself anywhere since then. Was I even slightly prepared for that? No. Did I slack off and still have lots of places to go? Why yes. My fantastic mother took me to all these places. It's been a busy week running places with her that's for sure! If that doesn't take the cake she also helped with my packing today. That was not easy. Trying to fit your life for six months in one suitcase that had to weigh under 50 pounds? It had me rethinking what was absolutely necessary and what wasn't. I can live without more things than I originally thought.
We began with a suitcase. (A very fine place to start). It would not zip once I got my things in it. Obviously that wasn't the right choice. The next suitcase everything fit and it just took my mom and I sitting on it to close it. Then the real test came. To the scale! I get one free checked bag as long as it weighs 50 pounds or less. Let's just say it was more than 50 pounds. We removed some more things (After that neither my mom or I had to sit on it to get it to close which was a relief) and weighed it again. Close but no cigar. I began really thinking about what was in my suitcase and realized there were some things that I really actually probably wouldn't need. So, I lost some clothes out of the suitcase and they went back into the closet. After much deliberation and pondering we took it back to the scale. Success!! It was less than 50 pounds. That was the best feeling in the world. Now I'm all packed and just waiting for tomorrow morning... Hope I can sleep tonight. Although, maybe it would be good to not sleep tonight, then I would have an easier time sleeping on the long flight!
Next step: China!

1 comment: